No, of course not. Do you need big bucks to make an exceptional track? Well, it would help, that’s for sure, but it’s not necessary by default.
Ok, so what do you need to make a good track? Here’s a common list:
- Good idea… That usually means: be honest, be yourself, be original. No one said it’s easy…
- Good musicians… Who are good musicians? Well, maybe the shortest definition is: people who love music, love to play music and know how to play music.
- Reasonably good equipment… These days there are so many inexpensive pieces of equipment that will give you great results, but don’t be fooled, some things cannot be emulated. It’s all up to hearing the result, not watching or reading a catalog.
- A person that will mix your music according to what it should sound like, to emphasize the music and the feeling it should provide.
- A mastering studio that will not spoil everything mentioned above.
That’s pretty much it. But this is a “weakest link” game, so if you lack a link in the chain don’t expect to get great results.
In this Internet era, try to keep an open mind and to find someone who will really do the best job with your tracks. If you have a good idea and you don’t have everything from the list, you can:
- Hire a musician online to record some tracks for you
- Find a studio that could do the right job with mixing and/or mastering your tracks
That doesn’t guarantee the success, but it gives you much more options and it can also save you some money if you play it right.